Senior Optics Design Engineer: Measuring Business Unit (m/f/x)
What's the role?
We are looking for a person who understands and works on all optical topics such as lasers and lenses. Bringing in new ideas in optics, examining them on a scientific basis and then implementing them in series production. This also includes holistic thinking as an entrepreneur and strong team skills.
Who is Hilti?
If you’re new to the industry, you might not have heard of us. We provide leading-edge tools, technologies, software and services for the global construction sector. We have a proud heritage, built over 75 years, and a worldwide reputation for pioneering products and exceptional service. With 30,000 people in more than 120 countries, which we’re looking to expand, we’re a great place for you to show us your worth, step up to new challenges and grow your career.
What does the role involve?
An ideal candidate brings a good understanding on Operational requirements:
Optical simulations - calculate systems
- Design of optical systems with Software Zemax.
- Necessary knowledge for Zemax: geometry (ray tracing) and waves (diffraction).
- Calculation of the optical performance with Software VirtualLab.
- Determine the tolerance limits of each component / Calculate and define the laser class.
Design optical systems
- Laser diode, collimation lens, pentaprism, aperture geometries.
- Rod lens, beam splitter, CCTV lens, CMS sensor.
- Lighting: LED, light guide.
Good Understanding of manufacturing optical components
- Selection and evaluation of potential manufacturing processes.
- Create Optical specifications.
Evaluate and procure measurement technology
- Wavelength measuring device, Optical power meter, LUX meter, MTF measuring system from Trioptics.
Mechanical background / Experience
- Experience in Fine mechanics how to build up a serial optical system in mass production.
Leadership Skillsets with proven capability to lead technical projects as a Technical Project Leader (TPL):
- Support production in all optical questions.
- Support supplier Selection.
- Coaching and guidance of external partners and support internal engineers.
- Steering a technical team through technical projects and requirements.
- Good understanding of global methods e.g. FMEA, LEAN, AGILE.
- Entrepreneurial mindset to get things done in.
What do we offer?
We offer you a unique place to work, where you are part of a creative and diverse team. We give you many opportunities to develop yourself and we will support you in shaping your individual career path. Join our positive team spirit!
Our Headquarters is located in Schaan, in the beautiful and mountainous Rhine Valley. We offer state-of-the art office spaces, a staff restaurant with a variety of healthy food, coffee corners, an in-house gym with a relaxation room and so much more. Additionally, Hilti e-bikes are readily available for you to use free of charge! It is in close vicinity to a direct train stop for easy commuting to the Swiss and Austrian borders.
We want you to work your best and offers such as flexible working/part time arrangements, free parking slots and day care for your children are just some of the ways we do that.
Why should you apply?
About you: you are someone who wants to influence your own development. You’re looking for a company where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies, where a job title is not considered a final destination but the starting point then we welcome your application.
What you need is:
- You hold a bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Optics / Physics / Fine Mechanics
- Ideally you have a proven track record in developing Laser products for measuring tools
- Your working style is proactive, and you have a “getting-things-done” approach
- You have strong interpersonal skills to successfully perform in a global matrix environment, excellent stakeholder management skills
- You are fluent in English (German knowledge is good to have)
Does this sound like you? We look forward to your application! For further questions, please feel free to contact the hiring manager Ralf Siegler, Head of Mechanics & Optics Development.
Learn more about your BU:
Learn more about our sustainability efforts:
Learn more about us:
*For non-EU / EFTA citizens: Please state your eligibility status to work in Switzerland/ Liechtenstein and note that if you do not own a valid Swiss/ Liechtenstein work permit, Hilti cannot guarantee your final employment due to authority regulations.
Hilti is an equal opportunity employer.