Our global management development program
Hilti Outperformer: technical track
Do you have a recent master’s degree in engineering?
Are you fluent in English and another language?
Would you relish the opportunity to live and work internationally?
Do you have the drive and desire for a career in global senior management?
Hilti Outperformer could be the fast-track career starter you’re after.
Real responsibility from day one
Hilti Outperformer is a global management development program like no other. Over a two-year period, we’ll prepare you for a global leadership career by putting you right in the heart of our innovation process and giving you full responsibility from day one.
But don’t be daunted. Yes, it’s fast paced and challenging. But we’ll closely coach and mentor you while broadening your experience through a range of international management projects and a hugely impactful social project. You’ll also get the support you need to learn, grow and carve your own career. And, aside from enjoying an incredible experience and making friends along the way, you’ll gain a qualification from the top-ranking IMD business school in Lausanne, Switzerland.
“At Hilti, I feel I can genuinely help my customers do their work more effectively. At the end of the day, I feel my job makes a difference.”
Matthias, Technical Global Trainee
Why you’re perfect for the program
• You’ve recently graduated, or you’re preparing to graduate, with a master’s degree or PhD.
• Your degree is in engineering, be it mechanical, electrical, civil, industrial or material science.
• You’re ambitious for a career in global senior management.
• You’ve spent at least three months, and up to two years, in a professional environment, like an internship, apprenticeship or work experience, or have just started your career and want an opportunity where you can perform well and progress.
• You’ve gained international experience during your work or studies.
• You’re multilingual – fluent in English plus another language or two. You’ll need this skill to work in different regions.
• You’re mature and assertive, curious and committed.
• You’re a flexible team player with good communication and social skills.
• You’re a global thinker, keen for intercultural experiences and opportunities working abroad.
What our technical track looks like
Hilti Outperformer is a two-year program. From the start, you’ll be working with colleagues from around the world, gaining exposure to senior management as well as your own personal mentor. This means joining meetings with board members and attending global summits as part of a high-performing team. You’ll be given a variety of roles, learn about meeting the needs of our demanding customers and get involved with some high-profile, business-critical assignments. You’ll also do a program at IMD business school in Switzerland, and take part in a life-changing social project.
Our technical track is split into these three main stages of work:
• 15-18 months in the innovation and development department of one of our business units, production plants or R&D centers. This will be either at our head office in Liechtenstein or in Germany or Austria. You’ll get hands-on experience in managing a development project, be it developing your own product or as part of a bigger development team, or as a quality or lean manager in a production environment.
• 3-6 months on a strategic project at our head office in Liechtenstein. You’ll work as part of a project team in a non-technical role. It could be logistics, HR, finance or marketing.
• 3 months on a strategic project outside the region. Again, it might be logistics, HR, finance or marketing, but from an international perspective, with its different working cultures and market challenges. If you’ve come from a mature market, you’ll work in an emerging market, and vice versa.
During your program, we’ll prepare you for a global leadership career through a variety of fascinating courses and events:
• Leadership development program – a comprehensive learning journey with IMD business school in Lausanne, Switzerland, designed to expand your thinking about Hilti and your role as an emerging leader. Covering a wide range of modules, like Strategy Thinking, Finance, Execution and Global Leadership, it’s a combination of online, classroom and outdoor training - some individual and some in teams - with a qualification from IMD.
• Business management training – individual training at Hilti. A focus on behavioral profiles, personal strengths, leadership styles, communication skills and presentation tools.
• Global summit – 4-5 days at our global headquarters in Liechtenstein. A look at the way global business units function, both independently and cooperatively, as well as soft skills like situational leadership, international teamwork, networking and culture.
• Social project – 7-8 days ‘building a better future’. A hands-on community project like our recent house building in Bosnia. Between laying bricks, you’ll learn how catastrophes such as war, famine and natural disaster can affect people and business in a region.
Throughout your program, you’ll discuss each of your next roles and locations with your sponsor and regional program manager. This way, you’ll get the best possible exposure and understanding of the business.
How to apply for your place
While the application process is slightly different for each region, it broadly looks like this:
• Click on ‘Apply now’ below, which will take you to our online application system.
• Choose a track: logistics, technical or commercial.
• Choose a country. You must be fluent in the local language and hold a permit to work there.
• Upload your CV and letter of motivation, ideally in pdf format.
• Also include any references, such as letters of recommendation from universities, internships or professional experience.
• If we think you’re suited to the program, we’ll invite you for a first round of interviews with HR and a senior manager.
• If this goes well, we’ll invite you to a regional assessment center.
• Along the way, we’ll be clear and honest with you about your progress, so you’ll always know where you stand.
• If successful, the starting date of your program will depend on the region and your availability.