Buying a new or used motor vehicle

The following websites can be of help if you decide to purchase a new or used motor vehicle in Liechtenstein or Switzerland:

The Swiss Automobile Club "Touring Club Schweiz" offers helpful information:
People who are not citizens of Switzerland or Liechtenstein must present their residency permit when buying a car. This means that if your B permit has not been issued during the first days/weeks after your arrival, you can purchase a vehicle but you may not register it. Your insurance company will inform you of the details.

Fleet discount

When buying a new car, you can benefit from the so-called fleet discount. Please take this up with the respective dealer/garage. You will then be given a corresponding form, which you must have countersigned by Ms. Carolin Scholz at Hilti. This will ensure your purchase price discount.
Carolin Scholz / SHPRsc, phone: 00423 234 2313

Importing your own vehicle

Swiss import regulations apply regarding the import of your own vehicle. For further registration in Liechtenstein, contact the vehicle inspection center (Amt für Strassenverkehr) in Vaduz.

Registration/change of registration of a vehicle

After the vehicle has been imported into Liechtenstein, you must proceed as follows to change the foreign license plates:

  • Swiss license plates within 2 weeks
  • EU license plates within 1 year. (It is important that you consult with customs in Schaanwald)
  • USA license plates; contact the vehicle inspection center directly

The prerequisite for doing so is that the vehicle has been technically approved in Liechtenstein according to the Liechtenstein guidelines (if required by an inspection in a specialized workshop), that the papers are in order and valid liability/third-party insurance coverage exists.
You must submit a corresponding request to the vehicle inspection center:

Amt für Strassenverkehr
Gewerbeweg 2
Postfach 684
FL-9490 Vaduz
Tel. +423 236 75 01

You can also find basic information on this topic on their website.

Recommendation: As this procedure is somewhat complicated, it might be worthwhile for you to contact an insurance company or your automobile dealer beforehand which, as a rule, will be pleased to assist you with the registration or change of registration of your vehicle.

Driver’s license

EU and EEA licenses do not have to be exchanged. It is sufficient to submit a copy of the license to the vehicle inspection center. Swiss licenses fall into the same category provided they are a "credit-card format license". So-called "old driver's licenses" must be exchanged within 2 weeks.
Non-EU and non-EEA citizens must contact the vehicle inspection center directly. Details and application forms can be downloaded from the Motorfahrzeugkontrolle (vehicle inspection center) website.
A fee is charged for issuing a driver’s license. Additionally, costs for a mandatory vision test, carried out at any optician's, must also be paid for. You may also apply for an International Liechtenstein driver's license from the vehicle inspection center in Vaduz. It costs a fee, is valid for three years and is only valid in conjunction with a valid national driver’s license.

Rental vehicles

If you require a rental car at the time you take up your new position, please contact the HR Service team.

Mandatory autobahn vignette

On the Swiss and Austrian highways (autobahn), it is mandatory for your vehicle to display a vignette.

In Switzerland, there is only one annual vignette, which is adjusted to the calendar year. In Austria, in addition to a 10-day and a 2-month vignette, there is also an annual vignette adapted to the calendar year. In other words, the vignette is valid from December of the previous year to January of the following year.
The motorway vignettes are available at every petrol station or at border crossings and post offices.


Why drive to work in your private car alone, when it's more fun for two, three or four people to travel together while protecting the environment?


At you can register if you want to start a car pool or are looking for a ride.


The public transportation network (bus, rail) is cross-border and is very well organized. For additional information on timetables and prices see:

The Liechtenstein annual pass is worth mentioning. With it, you may use bus/rail facilities throughout Liechtenstein and across the border to Buchs (CH) and Feldkirch (A). It can be purchased online at or from the customer center at the bus station in Schaan.
Public transport offers attractive special fares for frequent travelers. In particular, the general pass (GA) or the half-fare ticket. Hilti supports mobility and refunds you a part of the annual subscription. In Switzerland and Liechtenstein you can also purchase bus and rail tickets with Reka.
We offer all HAG and HIBAG employees in Schaan free parking in the parking garage and the 1,100 parking bays on the factory premises.
The parking bays at HIBAG in Buchs (Rondelle) can be used free of charge by all employees using the HILTI badge – even over the weekend.
If you travel to work in an electric car, normally the charge of the battery is sufficient to travel back to your place of residence. If the capacity of your battery is not sufficient, you can recharge your electric car at the following places:
·         Schaan at the parking garage 
·         Buchs at the guest parking lot and
·         Nendeln at the bicycle shelter
. For more information, please contact our Mobility Manager Daniel Oehry.