Purchasing a motor vehicle / importing your own car

This website provides you with various information on this subject.

Additional links on importing:

If you have further questions, please contact the central Customs Information Center.

Type identification when importing a motor vehicle
For all information, please refer to the official website.

Registration requirements
Employees whose main place of residence is in Austria may use a motor vehicle or a trailer with foreign registration plates in Austria for one month. The one-month period starts on the first day the vehicle enters Austria. If the vehicle temporarily leaves Austria, this does not interrupt the one-month period. You can find the legal basis for using foreign vehicles in Austria here. The maximum permitted period of use depends on where the person's main place of residence is located.

After expiry of these periods, the registration certificate and the foreign license plates must be handed over to the responsible police headquarters or district commission. As of this point, Austrian license plates must be used, for which an Austrian registration is required.
You can find more information about registrations here and here .

When registering a vehicle without an EU certificate of conformity, an individual approval is required. When registering a vehicle with an EU certificate of conformity, the data needs to be entered onto the approvals database. The respective Provincial Government Office (Technical Inspection Office) or the general importer of this vehicle is responsible for this.

Motor vehicle taxes in Austria

If, as an EU citizen, you want to register and use your car in Austria, you must pay the following taxes:

Registration taxes/NoVa (standard consumption tax)
This is a one-off fee depending on the CO2 emissions (cars, station wagon) or cubic capacity (motorcycles) as a percentage of the vehicle's value. For cars or station wagons, a CO2 penalty must also be applied and a fixed amount deducted.

NoVa will be payable if
a new car, station wagon (including motorhome) or a new motorcycle in Austria is delivered to the customer or a vehicle is registered for the first time for road traffic in Austria. Accordingly, NoVa is payable, among other things, if:

  • New or used motor vehicles from abroad are to be imported and registered
  • Motor vehicles are to be shipped into the country as personal property and registered

When importing a vehicle, the NoVa must first be paid to the tax office. For this purpose, the Austrian approvals database extract is required (On July 1 2007, an Austria-wide approvals database (GDB) was activated. Vehicles can only be registered for the first time in Austria if the data is entered in the GDB. For vehicles with an EU certificate of conformity, the general representative is obliged to enter the data). You usually obtain this from the general importer for a fee. The original vehicle documents are required for this.

  • Approvals database extract
  • Pay the NoVa to the tax office
  • Take out motor vehicle insurance
  • Apply for registration

NoVa obligation when buying a new vehicle in Austria
The buyer of the vehicle pays the NoVa to the dealer, which forwards it to the tax office.


Together with the liability insurance premium for motorcycles (e.g. motorbikes over 100 cc) and motor vehicles with a maximum permissible gross weight of less than 3.5 tons (e.g. cars and station wagons), excluding tractors and motorized carts, the so-called "motor-related insurance tax" is paid, which is consequently forwarded by the insurance company to the tax office.

Driver's license in Austria

If you relocate your place of residence to another EU country, you do not usually need to exchange your driver's license. You can use it as long as it is valid.
However, if you wish, you can choose to exchange it for an equivalent driver's license in your new country of residence.
To do so, you must prove that you are a resident of the country and that you meet the conditions for obtaining a driver's license (minimum age and state of health etc.).
Before the authorities exchange your driver's license, they will contact the authorities in your previous country of residence to verify that your driver's license has not been restricted, suspended or withdrawn.
EU and EEA driver's licenses are recognized in Austria, i.e. they do not have to but may be voluntarily  exchanged.
Non-EU or non-EEA driver's licenses
If the holder of a non-EEA driver's license relocates his/her place of residence to Austria, he/she is permitted to drive motor vehicles for six months. After that, the license loses its validity and must be exchanged.

Find more information on this subject here.

Rental vehicles

If you require a rental car at the time you take up your new position, please contact the HR Service team.

Mandatory autobahn vignette

On the Swiss and Austrian highways (autobahn), it is mandatory for your vehicle to display a vignette.

In Switzerland, there is only one annual vignette, which is adjusted to the calendar year. In Austria, in addition to a 10-day and a 2-month vignette, there is also an annual vignette adapted to the calendar year. In other words, the vignette is valid from December of the previous year to January of the following year.
The motorway vignettes are available at every petrol station or at border crossings and post offices.


Why drive to work in your private car alone, when it's more fun for two, three or four people to travel together while protecting the environment?


At https://carpool.hilti.com/ you can register if you want to start a car pool or are looking for a ride.


The public transportation network (bus, rail) is cross-border and is very well organized. For additional information on timetables and prices see:

The Liechtenstein annual pass is worth mentioning. With it, you may use bus/rail facilities throughout Liechtenstein and across the border to Buchs (CH) and Feldkirch (A). It can be purchased online at www.liemobil.li or from the customer center at the bus station in Schaan.
Public transport offers attractive special fares for frequent travelers. In particular, the general pass (GA) or the half-fare ticket. Hilti supports mobility and refunds you a part of the annual subscription. In Switzerland and Liechtenstein you can also purchase bus and rail tickets with Reka.
We offer all HAG and HIBAG employees in Schaan free parking in the parking garage and the 1,100 parking bays on the factory premises.
The parking bays at HIBAG in Buchs (Rondelle) can be used free of charge by all employees using the HILTI badge – even over the weekend.
If you travel to work in an electric car, normally the charge of the battery is sufficient to travel back to your place of residence. If the capacity of your battery is not sufficient, you can recharge your electric car at the following places:
·         Schaan at the parking garage 
·         Buchs at the guest parking lot and
·         Nendeln at the bicycle shelter
. For more information, please contact our Mobility Manager Daniel Oehry.

Child safety in the car in Austria

The regulations apply whether children are traveling by car with parents, grandparents or their neighbor. Every vehicle driver is responsible for ensuring the safety of children in the car in line with regulations.
The regulations for child safety

  • Children up to 14 years who are less than 1.35 meters tall require a restraint that is appropriate for the weight and size of the child, which may only be used on vehicle seats equipped with a suitable safety belt.
  • Children from 1.35 meters tall can use a standard seat belt (when sitting on seats equipped with safety belts).

You can find more information here.


Making phone calls while driving is only permitted with the use of hands-free equipment. "Making phone calls" includes both the holding of the call as well as all actions for setting up and ending the call. Therefore, both accepting phone calls and making phone calls while driving are only permitted when hands-free equipment is used. If you make phone calls while driving with the hands-free kit, the mobile phone does not have to be fastened inside the car.


Anybody who makes a phone call without a hands-free kit while driving will be fined EUR 50. If the person refuses to pay this fine, the authorities are informed, which then impose a financial penalty of up to EUR 72, and up to 24 hours imprisonment in the case of irrecoverability.

Find more information on this subject here.


Basically, the maximum legally permitted limit is less than 0.5 mg alcohol content per 1 ml blood. In certain cases, however, this limit is lowered to 0.1 mg or less.


In Austria, there is no mandatory liability/third-party insurance for bicycles. Only properly equipped bicycles may be used in road traffic. Since May 2001 (amended October 2013), the minimum criteria has been defined by the Austrian bicycle regulation. In case of violation, the authorities can impose penalties. A front light and rear light are no longer required by the amendment when cycling in road traffic, however in bad visibility and at night they must be used.
Personal requirement for cyclists:

  • Alcohol limit 0.4 mg or 0.8 mg per 1 ml blood
  • Children may fundamentally only ride a bicycle under the supervision of an accompanying person (minimum age 16 years).
  • Children may cycle alone as of their 12th birthday, or with a bicycle license from the age of 9 or 10 years.

Further information: https://www.oeamtc.at/thema/fahrrad/

  • When transporting children in a bicycle trailer, children under the age of 12 must wear a helmet.