Buying a new or used motor vehicle

The following websites can be of help if you decide to purchase a new or used motor vehicle in Liechtenstein or Switzerland:

The Swiss Automobile Club "Touring Club Schweiz" offers helpful information:
People who are not citizens of Switzerland or Liechtenstein must present their residency permit when buying a car. This means that if your B permit has not been issued during the first days/weeks after your arrival, you can purchase a vehicle but you may not register it. Your insurance company will inform you of the details.

Fleet discount

When buying a new car, you can benefit from the so-called fleet discount. Please take this up with the respective dealer/garage. You will then be given a corresponding form, which you must have countersigned by Ms. Carolin Scholz at Hilti. This will ensure your purchase price discount.
Carolin Scholz / SHPRsc, phone: 00423 234 2313

Importing your own vehicle

Swiss import regulations apply regarding the import of your own vehicle. Information on importing a motor vehicle can be found on the website of the Federal Customs Administration.

Registration/change of registration of a vehicle

After the vehicle has been imported into Switzerland, you may drive it with the foreign license plates for a maximum of one year. The prerequisite for doing so is that the vehicle has been technically approved in Switzerland according to the Swiss guidelines (if required by an inspection in a specialized workshop), that the papers are in order and valid liability/third-party insurance coverage exists.
After a year has passed, at the latest, the vehicle must be re-registered and the Swiss license plates attached. Applications are processed by the responsible cantonal road traffic office.


Canton of St. Gallen
Strassenverkehrs- und Schifffahrtsamt St. Gallen
Frongartenstrasse 5
CH – 9001 St. Gallen
Tel. +41 71 229 22 22
Canton of Grisons (Graubünden)
Strassenverkehrsamt des Kantons Graubünden
Ringstrasse 2
CH – 7000 Chur
Tel. +41 81 257 80 00

The road traffic office will send you the "Aufgebot zur Fahrzeugprüfung" form (Request for vehicle inspection) with which you have to present your vehicle for inspection at one of the named automobile workshops for the MFK roadworthiness test. Vehicle registration and number plates will be issued if:

  • The prescribed liability/third-party insurance has been concluded.
  • The vehicle conforms to the design and equipment regulations.
  • The vehicle is fully taxed according to the vehicle tax.
  • All customs duty has been paid on the vehicle.

Driver’s license

Within the first year of entering Switzerland, you are authorized to drive in the country with your existing driver's license. However, before the end of the one-year period, you must without fail apply for a Swiss driver's license to be issued. At the end of the first year, the foreign driver's license loses its validity in Switzerland, which is equal to driving without a license. It should be noted that certain citizens must take a driving test in Switzerland.
The application is submitted to the responsible road traffic office. For the cantons of St. Gallen and Grisons:

You can also apply for an international Swiss driver's license, although this is only valid for 3 years. Further information is also available from the responsible cantonal road traffic office.

Rental vehicles

If you require a rental car at the time you take up your new position, please contact the HR Service team.

Mandatory autobahn vignette

On the Swiss and Austrian highways (autobahn), it is mandatory for your vehicle to display a vignette.

In Switzerland, there is only one annual vignette, which is adjusted to the calendar year. In Austria, in addition to a 10-day and a 2-month vignette, there is also an annual vignette adapted to the calendar year. In other words, the vignette is valid from December of the previous year to January of the following year.
The motorway vignettes are available at every petrol station or at border crossings and post offices.


Why drive to work in your private car alone, when it's more fun for two, three or four people to travel together while protecting the environment?


At you can register if you want to start a car pool or are looking for a ride.


The public transportation network (bus, rail) is cross-border and is very well organized. For additional information on timetables and prices see:

The Liechtenstein annual pass is worth mentioning. With it, you may use bus/rail facilities throughout Liechtenstein and across the border to Buchs (CH) and Feldkirch (A). It can be purchased online at or from the customer center at the bus station in Schaan.
Public transport offers attractive special fares for frequent travelers. In particular, the general pass (GA) or the half-fare ticket. Hilti supports mobility and refunds you a part of the annual subscription. In Switzerland and Liechtenstein you can also purchase bus and rail tickets with Reka.
We offer all HAG and HIBAG employees in Schaan free parking in the parking garage and the 1,100 parking bays on the factory premises.
The parking bays at HIBAG in Buchs (Rondelle) can be used free of charge by all employees using the HILTI badge – even over the weekend.
If you travel to work in an electric car, normally the charge of the battery is sufficient to travel back to your place of residence. If the capacity of your battery is not sufficient, you can recharge your electric car at the following places:
·         Schaan at the parking garage 
·         Buchs at the guest parking lot and
·         Nendeln at the bicycle shelter
. For more information, please contact our Mobility Manager Daniel Oehry.